Pages

Monday, June 1, 2009

Landscape & Outside Renovations








Our landscape renovations and paint spruce started with the removal this spring of the 50+ year old silver maple that once graced the front yard. Due to severe rot we had to sadly have the tree removed.



Once the tree was removed, we could grow grass again. The whole front of the house became sunny. We could plant new sun loving flowers! Yeah! Some of my favorites are sunlovers.





I scrapped around the bay window and the door of any loose paint and repainted them. Painted over the bay window and door with black over the hideous green that was there. Scrapped and painted the wrought iron railing. We replaced the light over the door with a more modern and up to date one. The planters on either side of the door had already been in place from last year, so I just added a wave petunia to each.









After all the painting was complete, the next thing to start on was the landscaping. The bushes had taken over, overwhelming the house, so they had to go. My son Josh and his friend Josh, yep, Thing1 and Thing2, as I affectionately call them, removed the front porch bushes.






So with a little time and a bunch of young muscle the boys removed the bushes...








Now doesn't that look better?

We still have lots to do out front. The plan is for a two-tiered stone raised bed. The back tier for new bushes/shrubs and the lower front tier for beautiful flowers. I've already have a few ideas of what I'd like to put in the new bed that will be built.

Oh and much to the hubby's dismay (only because it requires him to do some work) I'm hoping to add window planter boxes to my front second story windows.


Over the next few weeks I hope to have the new bed in and be started on my next landscaping project. I'll be sure to post pictures and give you an update.









8 comments:

  1. Wow what a difference! Everything looks great Dee! Can't wait to see the rest of your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jody,

    Thanks! I can't wait to see it either.

    D

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!! What a beautiful home... your hard work is paying off my dear friend! Show us more please.

    XXXOOO Martha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big difference hon, I like it better without the bushes also. Are you a duplex or the like? I love the brick!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Martha,

    Thanks. I sure hope my plans for the new flower beds come together and compliment my house as landscaping should. In fact a few of my neighbors have been so inspired to renovate their landscaping, they have also hired my son and his friend to remove their old bushes.

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  6. B,

    We are a townhome. One of the first groups that were built outside of the city in the 40's. I do love the brick but after living in a single family home for 14 years on a 100 acre farm, coming back here is a big change.

    D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dee...I think the raised beds out front will be a wonderful addition. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pat,

    Thanks. I think they will look nice too. Now to figure out with the hubby just what type of stone we will use...but you know how that goes! LOL!

    D

    ReplyDelete